On February 18 and 19 from 10am to 3pm, celebrate National Engineers Week with our annual Engineering Fest. In 2017, we will explore Chicago's iconic movable bridges with FREE activities for ages 5–12. Join over 1,500 visitors for a weekend full of family-friendly engineering explorations.
Chicago is known for its iconic, moveable bridges that span the Chicago River. Learn from an expert about six different types of bridges, then build your own! At Engineering Fest, the whole family can test out engineering solutions with mixed-media materials.
What can I do at Engineering Fest?
- Meet an engineer: Meet design professionals and learn how they make bridges!
- Bridge Builder Lab: Build moveable bridges with mixed-media materials, then see how much weight they can hold!
- Photo booth: Take a photo in our bridge-themed photo booth! Use fun props and share the photos with your friends on social media.
- Self-guided tour: Use our interactive self-guided tour to see Chicago's iconic bridges in person.
- Design challenge: Can you design a bridge that moves? Choose from a wide variety of wacky supplies to build your own moveable bridge to take home.
- Mini-tour: Bundle up! Join us for a mini-tour outside where we'll learn how to "read" a building.
Where are you located?
Engineering Fest is located at 224 S. Michigan Ave. on the first floor of the historic Railway Exchange Building. Activities will take place in several areas on the first floor, including the ArcelorMittal Design Studio, Lecture Hall, Morse Learning Studio and the atrium where our Chicago Model is located.
How do I get there?
CAF is easily accessible via all CTA lines. If you are taking the Red or Blue Line, we are east of the Jackson stop. If you are taking the Pink, Brown, Orange or Green Line, get off at Adams and Wabash and walk to Michigan Avenue. There are many parking garages within 1–2 blocks of CAF, including Millennium Park Garage South.
The beauty is in the details! Harold Washington Library's details reference Chicago's history and buildings…
What makes a building strong? Touch materials like steel and concrete, then design your own house to…
Visit the ArcelorMittal Design Studio @ CAF on Monday, Thursday, Friday and occasional weekends for a…
Join us from 12-3pm in our ArcelorMittal Design Studio to work with architects, designers and professional…